Sunday, September 25, 2011

The JET CITY COMIC BOOK SHOW : THE RESULTS.


The JET CITY COMIC BOOK SHOW: THE RESULTS.

One word could describe the show - GREAT!

I had a great time being there talking to people being a fan boy even after all these years and selling comics. Vega had a little interest but I realize that I just need to make some books with VERY EYE CATCHING graphics. A little scratchboard might help out with that like the painted covers I have seen being placed on traditional drawn comics. OR go for a total revamp of the Johnny Logo I have been using for the last 5 years. We’ll see- it will be soon to experiment!
Aside from a minor muscle pull in the back loading in the set up went off without a hitch. easy and the fact the table was on a main drag even better. At least we didn’t have the blaring trumpet of revelry going off like we had at the Emerald City Comic Con early this year.

This was a show strictly for comics and as we had only one name marquee entertainer of William Katt of “The Greatest American Hero” fame there as compared to many of the entertainers that have been funneling into Seattle for Comcon.
Though I will say there were a few die hard fans there in costume that were there supporting Katt. Good for them.
The Cross Pollination of entertainment never works well from a indie creators point of view because you get squeezed out of the shows eventually with huge colorful signs and flashing lights and bells and whistles. For anyone who knows - that has already happened down south in San Diego ComCon.
I could say that the only thing that kinda bugged me, and I said kinda bugged me, was the small remote controlled robot across the way that would roll out into the walk way to literally stop people and force them to look around who was controlling it and walk around.
I’ve seen this kind of sales tactic played from a lot of people over the years, I don’t usually see them them the following year. Of course I had to laugh as someone actually knocked the robot over! That was funny (and just)!
And what kind of praise I can give Mr. Jason Z. Pott? A lot, thank you very much sir. Jason and I roughly about the same age which is not the same as dirt by the way. We had a lot to talk about and got our “geek on” talking about all things comics, movies, directors, some politics and minor personal stuff. But not a boring moment.
I think at one time during a lull at the show I busted out “Honey Badger” on my youtube connection and made him laugh. If you have not seen the Honey Badger you should . It’s not unlike when I traveled to shows with Adam Watson and did the same thing. If you look like your enjoying yourself at the show and people see it, they are going to feel like they want to get in on the joke and come up to your table. Humor is infectious.
There are times at every show that the fanboy comes out of the creators. It is always there no matter how you want to downplay it. My meeting with Dan Brereton, Creator of the Nocturnals, was like that as I had him sign my hardbound edition the of "the Dark Forever and Other Tales". If you aren't familiar with his work, you should go to your local comic shop and at least pick up one of his books to look at. Fantastic artwork. Talking to him about some of his other projects like "Giant Killer" series from DC was a topic that I asked him about if he would be doing anymore with that character and the like with his other creator owned properties. Even a professional of his caliber had the same problems as the rest of us indies. Just a dude selling his stuff. I traded him a Corpse Cop "Corpsecile" book to say thanks and he gave me a Red Sonja book that he had done for Dynamite Entertainment. Pretty cool.
Also giving friends some art. Now true sometimes as an artist work piles up and this is true of anything you hold onto. I would say that the pages of Corpse Cop “Corpsecile” story were given to people whom I thought could really like and appreciate the work so I gave away three pages of the story to Amy Riddle, her husband Brain Meredith and Ron McCain for being good friends at previous shows and current.

Jason’s sales of the “Pig Fucker Blues” outdid everything else at the table -especially the books in the brown bags. I think the funniest moment was when Ashley Cook of Giant Fire Breathing Robot (I love that title!) was on the fence about whether or not to pick up the collected Brass Knuckles Rituals or P.F.B. When she went with that book I think it shocked Jason. And my little “War Ram” was also picked up. But when it was found that there was mar on the surface of the piece I said “Give it here, I’ll fix it.” And I did.
The cockiness of an artist who says that about fixing a scratchboard and actually making the piece better than it was before- that’s pretty cool.
So all in all, lots of favorable responses for all the books and several cool people to talk to.


GALLERY WORK:

The piece known as Corrax: The Seeker went up for sale at the Po’boy Art and Frame Shop in the artists Appreciation party @ Po Boy Art for the 88 STRONG show coming up next week

And that's it and back to the drawing board for gallery work and the crossover.

2 comments:

B.J.K. said...

Alan- I think next year we must all request that "Your Mamma Comics" not be allowed to EVER attend EVER again. Their comics Sucked balls, they were gross, annoying and over all the lamest people making comics I have ever had the displeasure of sitting next too.

B.J.K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.