Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Process of Illustrating






The images that are being shown here are those of the third issue of Johnny Vega, Man of the Future. It is placed as a three step process which is really a very simplified way of showing how these pages are put together. Currently I am trying to adapt a method of illustrating without the usage of a solid black eclipse line around the figure or anything else. The idea comes from watching Samurai Jack for the last couple years and the collected DVD sets.
Disney had been pioneering this method for animation for years. It makes the animation sequences look and feel seamless. And ultimately that is what I am wanting Johnny Vega to be. A CGI animated feature. And I said it here first, so mark my words when he gets popular.
The first image is the actual hand drawn image of what I thought the cover should look like and be representative of what was going to happen in the story. I scanned it in and then re scaled it to fit a comic book templet that I have already made in CS2.
The second image is actually the finished (or nearly finished) cover for issue three superimposed over the pencil sketch. to see how close I follow the initial image. I think that most artist try to stay as close to the original idea as possible because if you rework and redraw an image over and over again you loss the flavor of the piece you’re working on.
The third image is more the finish product that will show up on issue three.
And there you have it. I’ll break it down to other parts down the road.

No comments: